Thursday, August 13, 2009

Know It Well


Just kissed the Wanna Be Armstong now Wanna Be Caregiver goodbye. He's off to an early morning ride.

It’s Thursday, the day I planned to sleep in, everyone said rest. Why not? Only I have this long “to do” list. The phone rang at 5 a.m. Sherri my daily driver said, “I’m sorry. You aren’t going to work today. Go back to sleep.” Talk about giggles and grins.

In the olden days I’d have been upset, today I realized with my list ahead Sherri did me a favor. I brushed my teeth, made coffee, pulled out a devotional book by quadriplegic Joni E. Tada. She’s a woman that always gives me perspective. How can I complain? She can do nothing for herself, someone serves as her caregiver 24/7 and without them she’d die.

Dear husband is moving into that caregiver role and wants to serve, but I balk at the idea. Well, sometimes. Last night I wanted him to spoil me and fix food. He truly doesn’t like thinking meals and nicely asked me to fix dinner. Okay, so what can a “Looking well” woman do? I fixed a nice balanced meal and he thanked me. Then I made a phone call to Mary Ann, a dear friend husband and I cooked and cleaned for from 1999 until 2002 when husband’s cancer interrupted our lives.

I sat on the front porch talking with Mary Ann and truth be known, I hoped my Wannabe caregiver might step up to the plate and he did. Before I finished talking with Mary Ann, he cleaned the kitchen. With Mary Ann still on the phone I returned to the kitchen and praised the man. I put the phone on speaker and Mary Ann said, “Hey, Mr. Caregiver I know a good book you might need for your new role.”

“Don’t have to read it, I’ve lived it, and know it by heart, I’ve heard it so much.”

What can I say? Capsules of Hope is at work even in my home.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Go get em, Kat! Prayers for you go up like bright helium balloons, all over this land.

Anonymous said...

Kat, Your in my prayers and thoughts. Take care, and GOD BLESS.