Friday, August 14, 2009

It's All About Perspective



There’s an email floating around, been out there for years, about the college student that writes home to her parents. Her dorm burned, she jumped out the window, a boy rescued her and took her home. She ends up pregnant but promises to get married before the baby is born. Then she mentions the young man is good to her although of different race and religion, “But after all Mom and Dad, you raised me to love all people.” She mentions she’s headed to the doctor with an infection she caught from the young man, but not too worry too much. That’s when she says, “Well none of the above is true, but I did flunk history and algebra, I just wanted you to see the problem in perspective.

I’ve read that email more than once over the years. Today I’m being faced with perspective. I’m headed for surgery. Not some rare disease like husband’s battle with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (PMP). The surgery he went through is lovingly called “The Mother of all Surgeries.” No, my battle comes with cute pink ribbons, hats, and purses. Tons of books have been written and almost every woman is related to or has experienced this cancer.

As common as breast cancer is, it remains the #2 killer of women. (Lung cancer is #1). Still I needed perspective today. I don’t post a lot on the PMP support group, but I still keep in touch and read. One dear Dr. Loggie patient has been battling PMP since 1999. Recently she ended up in the hospital with infection in her pelvic region. Yesterday she emailed me to say the antibiotics got the infection under control, but where the tumor is located has broke out…she is flying from the east coast to see Dr. L again. She mentioned her dread of traveling in this condition.

After reading the email I thought about the many others with rare cancer, the struggles with fear of the unknown—I know my journey is doable. Thank you each one for your support, I need your wisdom, I’m trying to keep my listening ears available and a good perspective on my situation.

1 comment:

Lee Warren said...

Praying for you this morning.