Monday, August 3, 2009

Need Hope in a Capsule

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. -- Arthur C. Clarke

That quote came to my inbox, today. Isn't it funny how a quote, a sermon and a friend can change the outlook of the day. I’m dealing with some stupid pain that irritates me. Quit the pain meds, they just mess up other parts of my daily routine, so I just deal with the pain.


Now my mother never ever takes pain meds, neither does husband, but me, I’ll avoid the hurt if possible. However, I don’t like my life to feel out of control, like dizzy/sleepy all the time, or these other necessary bodily functions to be clogged up either—so I’m doing the Mom-Gary thing, no meds.

By the time we arrived at the St. Mark’s United Methodist Church to hear the Blackwoods, I’d slipped into a really good, feel-sorry-for-me-worried-about-the-finances persona. Then a friend gave me a hug (yeah, I guard my front). “No news yet?”

“Yes. It’s cancer.”

“You can beat this. I know several….” She listed off the many friends and relatives and for two seconds I felt miffed. Gary steered me into the sanctuary to hear the Blackwoods. Gospel music helps turn my thinking around. Then the surprise sermon, we’d driven an hour to hear the Blackwoods again, not realizing they were the opening for a sermon.

God and husband knew what I needed: Jesus feeding the 5,000, the impossible made possible not because of the disciples, the people or the boy’s lunch, but because Jesus turns the impossible into the possible.

When we left I hugged my friend and thanked her for being part of my re-focusing. Between her counsel, the message and the music, I’m back on track. Wonder how many times I’ll need to be re-routed in the next few weeks? Gotta remember, the Lord is all around me and hope, even a little bit of hope, even capsule sized hope can make a difference. I will not lose sight of hope.


No comments: