Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Serious Writer

I’m retirement age and still working four nine-hour days each week. Monday’s are set aside to write. Writing career? Never thought about the title, especially at my age, but then I say, “Why not?”

When I walked into the Oregon conference in 2002, I felt certain I carried a best seller in my portfolio. Then Cec Murphey (in a sweet way—despite his curmudgeonly spirit) said stash the fiction. In a few words, he steered me in the “right direction.” Write true experience stories, build a name for yourself, and become serious about the write business.

Grammar! Edits! Critiques! Writer’s crit groups! The whole bit.

Many from TWV2, FCW, HACWN and OCWC have helped me find my footing and hone my skills. “They” urged me to write goals, praises and seek a newspaper column.

Full of fear, I pushed myself to do them all.

The fiction best seller still lives in my computer, but someday....

Thank you to Cec and all others. Not enough space to name you, but the day I hit Oprah I’ll try to give you all proper credit.

Now you are smiling with me, right? But my dream career sits on the edge of my world. So I ask you, “If the Lord has changed my world this much, and brought me this far, why not see myself as a real author?”

Must add, my day job is not my career. It is survival.

Come visit again, Kat

No comments: