Tuesday, August 19, 2008

5 Lessons Learned at OCWC

  1. Speak to the silent, the loner, and every editor/publisher possible. Speak, but also listen. Everyone has a story. Many authors, editors and even publishers bring a load of pain tucked in their suitcase between their clothes and their manuscript.
  2. Take time to be alone. I sent my fees with a note, “I’ll fit into a cabin of three to save dollars.” Mentally I thought, “Lord, I know you placed Geneva in my cabin on purpose in 2002. Maybe you have a plan for this year, too. I’m open to share.” Then guess what? I had a cabin to myself. The Lord knew I needed quiet with Him. What a blessing.
  3. Don’t expect every workshop to fit your every need. Often the class ranges from newbie to well-seasoned author and the speaker tries to answer all the questions in between. Take what you can from every class. When my husband served as pastor he told his Bible Class students, “Don’t try and digest it all. If you go away with one new truth or one provocative thought, you’ve done well.”
  4. Go to every conference with a positive mental attitude and trust God to help you find your niche. Don’t expect to know everything beforehand. You are a first grader going to school. You’ll learn. Raise your hand and ask questions.
  5. Expect miracles and write them down. Even the little answers to prayer.

    Have a great day. I'm headed to my mission field called Medical Billing. Wonder who I might talk with today? Kat

2 comments:

Christina Tarabochia said...

The one thing I don't have a problem with is talking. This a good reminder to use that for good (not evil!) and draw the quiet ones into the group.

I'll be thinking of this when I go to ACFW in 25 days. :-)

Audra Krell said...

I found you over at TWV2. Thanks for these great tips on attending conferences, I found this post to be really helpful.