Sunday, July 26, 2009


Yes, this is us. We make memories together. Can you believe that years ago husband and I spent time in counseling. There were days back then I didn’t like the guy I’d married. One such day the counselor told me husband and I needed to talk, really talk. He handed me a paper that showed a large elephant in the living room. “You two walk around the elephant like he’s not there. Someday, the smell will get to you…..” There was more to the story.

So now it’s all these years later and I’m really liking the guy, but we still have places in our lives we don’t discuss. On Sunday evening husband plays Table Tennis. Tonight he needed to leave earlier than usual to open the church doors. He’d finished watching the Tour De France and sat waiting to leave.

“Do you think we could talk?” Here we are, this old married couple. You’d think after fifty years anything could be discussed, but we neither one like talking about the tough topics. I patted the seat on the couch and he sat by me.

“Want you to know I’m planning on the best possible outcome next Tuesday.” Gary nodded his head. “But Hon, you heard the surgeon say, ‘decisions may need to be made quickly.’ If that happens, you have my permission to do whatever is necessary.”

Husband thanked me. He also said, “It’s sure different being the caregiver. I’d do anything if it were me going in for surgery. I’m praying for you more than ever before.”

When burdens are shared and discussed it’s easier to move on.

Looking forward to a grand celebration on Tuesday, it’s my anniversary of twelve years in my job. Pretty special day don’t you think? Wonder if I can get the nurses to bring in balloons?

Still Lionhearted Kat

2 comments:

Jill said...

Praying for you!! Please continue to keep us posted and let me know if you need anything!

~ Jill

audrey4j said...

I've been out of town and didn't know about your surgery. Please keep us informed via SFTLM. Audrey