Saturday, July 25, 2009

Better than Roses Anyday


In 2002 the surgeon arrived after an exploratory surgery to say, “Mr. Crawford you have Pseudomyxoma Peritonei.” She explained what she found and said she’d called an oncologist. When she left I called our middle child, Marcy.

This week husband said he’d see the doctor with me. “Not necessary. I’m going there and then to work.” I handled that first appointment fine. Had lunch with friends at CBWF and drove to the surgeon. I felt rather grand when I left there. After all, it’s a lump. Had one of those before. I know dozens of women that suffered with these problems.

Only the next morning when I realized the radiologist talked with the surgeon before he talked with me, I felt a bit squeamish. When he said I needed to call the surgeon for an appointment, I said, “okay.” Drove out of the hospital parking lot, down the hill, into a driveway, dug through my purse for the surgeon’s phone number. Couldn’t find it.

Husband wasn’t home. Didn’t want to call him anyway. He wouldn’t know the number and I wanted to tell him in person. So why did I call Marcy? Cause that’s what daughters are for.

Someplace in
Capsules of Hope I have a whole thing about not leaning on your kids, they break. However, at that moment in time, I needed to talk about what happened. How I felt. Marcy couldn’t find the phone number I needed, but there is something about sharing the weight of what just happened.

Thank you, Marcy Lou, you are better than a dozen roses in my day, a sweet rare treasure.
Mom the Kat

No comments: