Sunday, December 28, 2008

Green Light Red Light and Forgiveness


Last year I wrote a devotional, it hasn’t sold yet, but when I started re-writing my review for "Green Light Red Light" by Audrey Hebbert, I ran into unpublished piece once more.

When I read it, I thought, "Wow, better search for more unpublished pieces and market them this next year." In the meantime, I'll share, “The Meaning of True Forgiveness.”

Read Psalm 55:12-14

“I hate you.” I heard my adult daughter’s voice over the telephone. She sobbed. Where did her anger stem from? I prided myself in being a good mom.

At a loss for words, I asked, “Can you tell me where those feelings and all that emotions comes from?”

My daughter poured out her pent up feelings, I realized she’d stuffed a lot of junk. We talked for hours. The next day we talked again and the next.

Finally, we understood each other and true, Godly forgiveness happened.

In Green Light Red Light, Erica Slade also learns lessons of forgiveness. Her mother kicked her and her brother out and they ended up at the Hope Shelter, where volunteer Monica Moore becomes their friend.

God is the greatest recycler of pain. He turns bad things into good.

Our daughter and I are much closer after we discovered the root of the problem. Because of her mother, Erica met Monica and learned about true forgiveness. Although there are no concrete fairly tale endings to Red Light Green Light, we know that young Erica’s heart is right with the Lord and she desires to forgive her mother.

Did you experience forgiveness this past year? Do you need to forgive? A YA novel and my daughter taught me that with God, forgiveness can happen.

No comments: