Friday, December 26, 2008

CREATIVE CALISTHENICS by Main


If you are looking for a book to improve your writing fitness in 2009, check out Creative Calisthenics by Terri L. Main. Each page is a tool to fine tune your writing skill level.

Several years ago the author, not a huge physical fitness guru, participated in a marathon to help raise money for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She learned right away, you don’t just say, “I’m a runner,” and then complete the 26.2 marathon. She spent months training. It’s the same way for writers. Main says Creative Calisthenics is a compilation from her thirty years of experience.

The Table of Contents, the titles to Main’s inspirational and motivational prompts, jump-started my mind. I didn’t read each page in order, I found myself skipping from “Magic Doors and Secret Passages” to “Keepsakes.” The titles alone gave me an idea for two articles—I read the material and added two more ideas to my treasures for the future.

Main’s material isn’t only for fiction writers. Her ideas on “Freewriting” shows how to reorganize your materials and your thoughts from your research on a particular article. She references a book, too, Writing Without Teachers by Peter Elbow.

I agree with the author when she said exercising can be boring, but every author can have fun and add a new dimension of excitement to your writing by training your creative muscles.

Creative Calisthenics is a book to sit on top of your Thesaurus—right at your fingertips.

3 comments:

Terri main said...

Thanks so much for your kind words. I really enjoyed writing this book. I love to have fun with writing and see other people have fun,too.

Terri Main
CreativeCalisthenics.com

Christina Tarabochia said...

This fits what I have experienced! When I'm writing every day, I find it easier to write. When I'm sporadic, the writing is harder. Kind of like physical workouts.

:-)

Frank Creed said...

Terri Main is a communications professor, and an excellent writer. No surprise that Creative Calisthenics is a great writing tool.

Faith,
f

thefinishers.biz