Monday, December 22, 2008

The Edits Go On and On and On

“Authors are like pianists. They take classes, buy books, and practice their craft daily. There are few, if any, authors who feel inspired and magically write and sell a first book,” said Carol Umberger at Wordsowers, our local writers group. “It takes hours of studying, writing, and editing, and hopefully someday you publish.”

I remember when Audrey Hebbert came down to the final months before “Green Light! Red Light!” published. It seemed like her emails continually commented on “even more” editing. I couldn’t imagine what else she had to do, I’d worked on her initial drafts and I knew what a grammar guru she was, but now, these weeks, I understand both Carol and Audrey better.

Thought I’d learned a lot in the last two years, but obviously I didn’t know it all. What a process. About the time I think I’ve come close to the end of “Capsules of Hope: A Survival Guide for Caregivers,” I realize there is another missing piece.

Sandy Cathcart, an Oregon author and tax consultant sent me an email this week. “What do you mean no one told you the edits are hard? That’s what we teach at every conference.” Yeah, well I heard the presenters at these conferences. I still didn’t realize how much work was involved.

This morning I read sermon notes around Philippians 2:1. That big word “IF” slam dunked me. If the Lord gave me all the materials for the book, (and I believe He did), then He’ll help me through the process, however tedious.

Sign me out, getting a grip on the verse that says, “Do not be weary in well doing.”

Merry Christmas
(still searching for my 2009 Bible verse for the year.)

No comments: