Sunday, March 11, 2012

Six Weeks of Easter

I don’t remember the actual title, but one year I wrote a six week celebration of Easter. When I presented the idea of involving all ages over several weeks before Easter, husband quickly reminded me we did not have a budget for extra anything.

It didn’t take long to find a willing and talented crew to help. I had a vague idea of what I wanted, the group brainstormed and then it happened.

Our costumes were sheets we gleaned from a motel and second hand clothing. In two days our church foyer became a Jewish marketplace. The platform was transformed into a village. For hours Wanda, Bob, Slim, Candy, husband the Carpenter girls and I built scenery.

Slim, the artist made cardboard into a barn puppet stage. Wanda had an eye for décor and created a small home with curtains, baskets, and weeds. The Carpenter kids helped build rocks from crumpled paper bags.

What did we purchase? Duct tape, masking tape and black markers.

What did we learn? It is a lot of work to present a drama for one week—lots more when you include different ages for different Sundays and add a choir, too.

Togetherness. More than church family, we played, laughed talked and created. Our congregation became totally enmeshed and involved in the last days of Christ’s days on earth and the resurrection.

Christ died that we might live. That each one might have life and have it more abundantly.

And husband, The Rev. Crawford, preached in his Biblical best. And me, I directed the choir in my fine inexpensive costume. (Note my toes.)

1 comment:

quietspirit said...

Kat:
This touches my heart. Our church drama ministry has two major plays each year. One at Christmas and one at Easter. I can relate to the pitching in to get things done. But six weeks of plays, you get a gold star from me.