Saturday, June 21, 2008

STRONGER BIO NEEDED, PLEASE!

An online writer’s group discussed the importance of a well-rounded BIO. After I read the comments by professionals, I pulled out my stack of anthologies and read the short bio listed in the back.

What did I learn? It is important to write facts pertaining to the manuscript attached. You do not need a chronological bio with most submissions.

Most editors don’t need to know
Kat Crawford is married for 49 years next Monday. She is still dedicated to her childhood sweetheart. She started chasing him the summer she turned ten and caught him when she turned 17. The Crawford’s have three children and six grandchildren.

Well, actually, if I were writing an article about grand parenting, that might be all right. Or if I wanted to show the importance of commitment in marriage, it might be the most important sentence in the bio....but for the anthology articles, it really doesn’t pertain to the material submitted.

Always write a bio in third person. Always.

I do believe I’ll write a cleaner, more concise bio next time around.

Just a bit smarter,
Kat

No comments: