Saturday, November 29, 2008

THE MOON SHINES DOWN




A never before published children's book, "The Moon Shines Down" by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Linda Bleck arrived in my mail yesterday. I felt like a child with an unexpected Christmas gift when I gazed at the bright yellow moon over a Koala bear sailing down a river. I quit my tasks and read the book aloud.

It's been awhile since I read Margaret Wise Brown's books, but from the first rhythmic line, I recalled all the days with our children and grandchildren. Books like "Good Night Moon" and "Runaway Bunny." Brown had over a 100 books in print when she died suddenly in 1952. Her many unfinished manuscripts were all but lost.

"The Moon Shines Down" is a delightful story of how the same moon shines upon children everywhere and in every culture. I see this as a valuable book for teaching young children about race, animals, and God. The bright colors on each page will keep the youngest child entranced in the story.

"The Moon Shines Down" is a treasure from the front cover to the last page where a Koala bear sleeps in a tree. The publisher's introduction about the "story behind the lost manuscript" creates a teaching tool. A bit of history to help instruct our children on how old things are valuable and usable.

Thanks to the far reaching insight of Thomas Nelson--what a brilliant idea to seek the help of author Laura Minchew when the old sheets of forgotten words were found. I applaud Minchew for giving us Margaret Wise Brown once more. "The Moon Shines Down" promises to be a classic for children today.

Great fun, buy one or two....no children? Buy one for your neighbor's child.

No comments: