Monday, November 17, 2008

The Lion's Roar


After ten months of living with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (PMP), my husband’s rare cancer, I came to the end of me and yelled, “Help. God. Help.” That’s when I realized the Lord created a strong person inside of me—but I felt like a wimp.

That day I told my co-workers, “I’m no longer Kathy, I’m now the Lionhearted Kat.” Within a few weeks I added forty cuddly, stuffed lions to my cubicle as a reminder of my strength.

It’s now six years later, and husband is doing right well. Me, too, as long as I remember I’m not strong within myself, but because God lives in me. I’m still fond of lions, especially cutesy ones like the mural.

Becoming the Lionhearted Kat changed others parts of my life, too. About then a PMP survivor, Brenda Williams, built a website: www.pmpawareness.org. She invited me to write for the Caregivers’ Corner. With no particular format in mind, I created “CAPSULE OF HOPE”, just stuff that I learned on my journey through cancer.

Those Capsules have now become a part of my first book. Don’t know when it will be published, but soon. “Capsules of Hope: A Survival Guide for Caregivers” is more than a memoir, its daily encouragement and resources for every caregiver in most situations.

Have a hope filled day, Kat

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Kat! I am visiting from the ithirstnw website. You are a resilient woman of God, if God is for us, who can be against us?

Congratulations on fighting the battle of cancer with your husband.

Good luck on your book. Looking forward to reading more on your blog.

quietspirit said...

Kat:
Please let me know when you get this book published. I have several friends who have been through this caregiver role, myself included.

Cecelia