Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Procrastination can be Expensive

Horrible lesson almost learned: Don’t hesitate, buy early.

Because I’ve only flown 5 times in my life, arranging a flight is scary. Someone helped me in the past. This year our Oregon daughter encouraged me to buy one early.

“I don’t have the time today.”

“Mom, give yourself permission to spend thirty minutes online. Go directly to the website for each of the airlines. You can do this.”

I messed around on the websites that night. Some fees were sky high and a few didn’t have flights where I needed to go. The next day I popped in and looked around again—didn’t buy. Then I asked a co-worker how they arranged their flights.

“Usually Travelocity or Orbitz.”

That night I compared those two. Will they run a special? Maybe I should ask ….I hesitated. Again.

Every where I looked I found United to be the only choice from Omaha to Eugene. So why did I wait?

A week later our Omaha daughter called and connected me with expedia. "Yes, you'll have an actual person to talk me though the purchase." I called and while we were on the phone the tickets went from $405 to $638.

I hung up quick, plugged back into Orbitz where I’d seen a roundtrip fare for $412. You never saw my fingers fly so fast. Phew. Job well done. I received my confirmation, wiped my brow, and thought “Wow, you almost missed this because you hesitated to make a commitment.”

I gotta learn procrastination is a killer and can be expensive.

Sighing, Kat

1 comment:

Kindred Heart Writers said...

I have the same problem about anything I do on the internet. Procrastinating when I have an idea can also cause me grief...it sometimes leaves me. Thanks for your comment. Blessings Clella