Friday, May 18, 2012

My Blue Datsun


Have you heard the true story where an elderly woman pulled a gun and screamed at the four men in a car, “I have a gun and I know how to use it.” Of course, the men jumped out of the car and ran. 

Truly shaken up, the woman put the groceries in the car, got behind the wheel and found her keys didn't  work.

Later she walked into a police station. She explained her plight in detail to a sergeant. The man in uniform couldn’t keep from laughing. He finally pointed to the four pale white males at the other end of the counter reporting a high-jacking by an elderly woman.

My story isn’t better, but just as embarrassing.


Every year our church planned an Easter egg hunt for the neighborhood children. The grand celebration brought more children every year. We decided we needed more than usual eggs and we needed to prepare 100 baskets—one for each child to take home.

Before Easter I found a local burger place giving kids meals in the cutest Bunny baskets. My excitement boiled through my veins like hot soup on a cold winter day when the manager said she’d give us all the baskets we needed.

“The kids will never forget this Easter egg hunt,” I gushed at the manager and the teens behind the counter. “Most of these kids don’t have much. They will be so excited. “I grinned at the smiling staff, grabbed the huge box from the manager. “Thank you for caring.”

Outside the door I shoved the box in the back seat and then slipped into the front seat. The grin left my face when my keys wouldn’t work. I tried every key on my key ring.

Nothing.

When I pulled my purse open to find another set of keys, I noticed a newspaper on the passenger seat—I didn’t have a newspaper. I looked at the console and saw a pack of cigarettes. I don’t smoke.

“Oh, Lord. Help me," I started praying and frantically I jumped from the turquoise Datsun, grabbed my box raced to my own turquoise Datsun two cars away.

By the time I arrived home all my bubbling hot excitement had dissipated. Scared, yet grateful I hadn’t been caught, I made the mistake of telling my preacher husband.

“I can see the newspaper caption now, ‘Bunny Basket Totin’ Preachers’ Wife Caught Swiping Blue Car,’” He laughed. He continued to laugh every time he shared the story. And yes, he created an illustration from his caption to use in Sunday morning service. 

He didn’t let me live down my basket escapade until I made the next turquoise blue Datsun mistake. His humor only lasts so long, but that’s a story for another day. 

Eventually I did learn to laugh at my exciting blunders. I also thanked the Lord for keeping me safe. 

Still Lionhearted, Kat



1 comment:

quietspirit said...

This sounds like something I do on a regular basis. Since we bought a silver car in Jan. 2011, I have done something similar at least twice. My hubby can't say anything about it because he's done it also.