Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Freelance Author's Office

A writers group talked about our office, where is it located? Door open or closed? File cabinets or boxes of files. Messy or clean.

I didn’t have an “office” until after my cornea transplant. In those months following my eye surgery, back when I couldn't watch TV or read, I struggled with depression and inactivity. One day I announced to husband, "I'm going to write a book."

Gary immediately set up a makeshift office for me in our family room. He seemed to understand my isolation wouldn’t be healthy. Where did I write? Anywhere. At the table/desk he created for me, on the front porch, or in the bathtub.

When I needed the "feel" of a small town for my novel scenes, Gary drove me through miles and miles of rural communities in Iowa. My happy fingers found lots to write while away from the confines of our home. Even the front seat of the car, or a picnic table in the park could substitute as an office space.

From the many posts about office space in our writers group, I'd say there is enough evidence to prove an office isn't four walls and a desk. An office is where the heart of the author finds peace and the power of the Holy Spirit flows through fingers—whether at the keyboard or a steno pad.

Just my last two cents.

1 comment:

quietspirit said...

Kat:
This is interesting. I have tried going to a neighborhood park to write. But not lately. (I'd be taking a notebook and pens.

Cecelia